Motor Oil: SR SAE API 5W-30
Coolant: Audi/VW Pink coolant G13
ATF: Audi/VW Part number G 055 540 A2
MTF: Audi/VW Part Number g 052 527 A2
The Volkswagen Beetle has been one of the most popular open-top cars ever built since the type 15 Convertible debuted in 1949. The new 2017 Beetle Convertible 1.8T just received a facelift, and the Dune Convertible joined the lineup.
Overall, the Dune has a bolder appearance in the Beetle range, thanks to the fitment of new front and rear fascias and pronounced black wheelarch extensions that flow into the bumpers. Additionally, the Dune’s raised ride height of 0.4 inches and a 0.6-inch wider body give it a more rugged stance.
A lighting package is available on the Dune, adding bi-xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED rear license plate lighting.
The side of the vehicle is characterized by the contrast between the polished aluminum sills and black trim strips that are reminiscent of the original Beetle running boards. Distinctive 18-inch Canyon aluminum-alloy wheels are fitted with 235/45 all-season tires. Dune graphics are displayed on both doors, and at the back, the Dune features a large rear spoiler and standard LED taillights.
Inside, the Dune Convertible is fitted with the composition media infotainment system with standard Volkswagen Car-Net App-Connect, USB and Bluetooth connectivity for compatible devices, along with a rearview camera and the Park Distance Control system. A technology package is available, which adds Climatronic dual-zone automatic climate control, a Fender premium audio system and Kessy keyless access with push-button start.
The 2017 Beetle Dune Convertible offers a Gen 3 EA888 1.8-liter turbocharged and direct-injection four-cylinder TSI engine. It produces 170 horsepower and 184 poundfeet of torque. The EPA estimated fuel economy rating is 24 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. All Beetle Convertible models are fitted with a strut-type front suspension with lower control arms and an anti-roll bar. At the back, all models get a multi-link independent rear suspension with coil springs, telescopic dampers and an 18-mm-diameter anti-roll bar.
Beetle Convertibles have standard anti-lock brakes with electronic brake pressure distribution. The Dune Convertible has 11.3-inch-diameter vented front discs and 10.7-inch-diameter solid rear disc brakes.
The 2017 1.8T Dune Convertible is available in three exterior colors: Sandstorm Yellow, Pure White and Deep Black Pearl.
A 2017 Beetle Dune Convertible carries a pricetag of $29,395.
Servicing the 2017 Beetle Dune Convertible
Every 10,000 miles:
• Rotate tires, front to rear
• Check windshield washers, headlight cleaning system and wiper blades to ensure they aren’t damaged and are functioning properly.
• Check thickness of brake pads and brake disc condition
• Change oil and replace oil filter
• Check cleaning nozzle functionality of rear window
• Reset service interval display
Every 20,000 miles:
• Replace fuel filter
• Check tread depth, condition, wear pattern and tire pressures
• Check battery
• Inspect brake system and shock absorbers for leaks or damage
• Check brake fluid level
Every 40,000 miles:
• From both above and below, check engine compartment components for leaks or damage
• From below, check the transmission, final drive and drive shaft boots
• Check exhaust system for leaks, damage and loose fittings
• Check interior lighting system: glove box lights, cigarette lighter, power outlets, turn signals, hazard warning lights and overhead light
• Check front and rear lighting system: luggage compartment lighting, turn signals and hazard warning lights
• Check oil level of power steering system
• Check condition of ribbed V-belt
• Check, clean and lubricate the sunroof (if applicable)
• Open sunroof and check the front water drains; clean, if necessary (if applicable)
• Check for excessive play or looseness in tie rod ends
• Check body for visual signs of corrosion
• Check coolant level and frost protection
• Check for leaks or damage to the CV joints
• Check and lubricate doors and mounting pins
• Check transmission; change fluid and filter
• Inspect underbody sealant for damage
Every 130,000 miles:
• Replace timing belt
Once a year:
• Visually check airbag system
Every two years:
• Replace dust and pollen filter
• Check filler bottle in tire mobility kit
• Check latch for convertible roof
Every three years:
• Check brake fluid and clutch unit
Every six years:
• Replace air filter element and clean screen and housing
Fluids and Capacities
Motor Oil: API SAE 5w-30 Full Synthetic meeting the Audi/VW specialty standard rating, 6 quarts
ATF: Audi/VW Part number G 055 540 A2, Front Drive 6.35 pints
MTF: Audi/VW Part Number g 052 527 A2, Front Drive 4.01 Pints