The fully redesigned and reengineered 2017 Honda CR-V is the fifth generation of Honda’s popular compact SUV.
The 2017 CR-V offers its first-ever available turbocharged engine and a host of new features and technologies for improved connectivity, comfort and convenience. Based on an all-new platform architecture, the new CR-V expands the application of the Honda Sensing suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies.
The CR-V’s new appearance includes Honda LED headlights, an active shutter grille system that lowers aerodynamic drag, uprated aluminum alloy wheel sizes to 17 or 18 inches on all trims, narrower A-pillars for improved visibility and sporty dual exhaust. Also new is an available hands-free access power tailgate.
EX and higher trims are powered by the CR-V’s first-ever turbocharged engine, a 1.5-liter DOHC, direct-injected and turbocharged in-line four-cylinder engine with dual valve timing control. CR-V LX trims are powered by a 2.4-liter DOHC direct-injected i-VTEC engine with variable timing control. Both engines are mated to a continuously variable transmission with Honda G-Shift control logic.
All-wheel-drive models feature an upgraded real time AWD system with a significant increase in maximum rear-wheel torque delivery and new electronic control allowing stepless control in everyday driving conditions and further improved all-weather confidence and control. The CR-V’s front MacPherson strut and new rear multi-link suspension utilize specially tuned low-friction dampers, with both FWD and AWD models including tubular front and solid rear stabilizer bars that promote responsive turn-in and flatter cornering. Dual-pinion, variable ratio electric power steering also contributes to the CR-V’s driving experience.
The interior of the CR-V features a new color TFT driver information interface, where drivers will be alerted of their vehicle’s maintenance needs.
The CR-V offers the latest in-vehicle connectivity and audio performance with a new generation of advanced technologies. Available features include a seven-inch touchscreen display audio interface with Android operating system that now features a physical volume knob as well as an available new Honda satellite-linked navigation system developed in cooperation with the experts at Garmin. The CR-V’s display audio system is compatible with the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto platforms, giving customers seamless integration of key smartphone features and functions, including smartphone-powered GPS navigation and voice-controlled search capabilities.
Some of the key new comfort and convenience features available on the 2017 Honda CR-V include remote engine start, dual-zone climate controls, heated side mirrors, an electric parking brake, rear USB charging ports, front passenger seat with four-way power adjustment and driver’s seat with eight-way power adjustment and four-way power lumbar support.
The 2017 CR-V is available in five trims: LX, EX, EX-L, EX-L Navi and Touring.
A base-model CR-V LX 2WD has a starting MSRP of $24,045. A top-of-the-line CR-V Touring AWD CVT with 19-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels will run a buyer about $35,960.
Servicing the 2017 Honda CR-V
Honda CR-V models are equipped with a Maintenance Minder, which alerts drivers when maintenance is due. When it’s time for maintenance, the system message indicator comes on and a message appears on the display every time the driver turns on the vehicle. It will display a main maintenance item and sub items. Each item corresponds to a code:
• Replace engine oil; if a Maintenance Minder message does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
• Replace engine oil and filter
• Check brake pads and discs for wear, damage and cracks
• Check calipers for damage, leaks and tightness of mounting bolts
• Inspect tie-rod ends
• Inspect steering gearbox
• Check gearbox boots for damage and leaking grease
• Inspect suspension components; check bolts for tightness
• Check condition of ball joint boots for deterioration and damage
• Check driveshaft boots for cracks and boot bands for tightness
• Inspect brake hoses and lines
• Check master cylinder and VSA modulator-control unit for damage and leakage
• Inspect engine coolant level and condition
• Inspect CVT fluid level and condition
• Inspect rear differential fluid level and condition (AWD only)
• Inspect brake fluid level and condition
• Inspect windshield washer fluid
• Check catalytic converter heat shields, exhaust pipes and muffler for damage, leaks and tightness
• Inspect fuel lines; check for loose connections, cracks and deterioration; retighten loose connections and replace damaged parts
• Rotate tires and check tire inflation and condition
• Replace air cleaner element
• Replace dust and pollen filter
• Inspect drive belt for cracks and damage; then check the position of drive belt auto-tensioner indicator
• Replace CVT fluid
• Replace spark plugs
• Replace engine coolant
• Replace rear differential fluid (AWD only)
• Replace brake fluid
Every 15,000 miles (24,000 km):
• Replace air cleaner element if vehicle is driven in dusty conditions
• Replace dust and pollen filter if vehicle is driven primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and diesel-powered vehicles
Every 25,000 miles (40,000 km):
• Change transmission fluid if vehicle is driven in mountainous areas at very low speeds or tows a trailer
Every 36 months:
• If the Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 36 months after the last brake fluid replacement, replace brake fluid
Fluids & Capacities
Motor Oil: API 0W-20; capacity is 3.4 quarts (3.2 liters) for 1.5L engine without filter, 3.7 quarts (3.5 liters) for 1.5L engine with filter, 4.4 quarts (4.2 liters) for 2.4L engine without filter and 4.6 quarts (4.4 liters) for 2.4L engine with filter
CVT Fluid: Honda HCF-2; capacity is 4.5 quarts (4.3 liters) for AWD models and 3.9 quarts (3.7 liters) for 2WD models
Coolant: Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2, and if necessary add Honda Extreme Cold Weather Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 as needed for prolonged cold temperatures below -22 F (-30 C); capacity is 1.64 gallons (6.2 liters) for 1.5L engine and 1.66 gallons (6.3 liters) for 2.4L engine
Differential fluid: Honda DPSF-II; capacity is 1.3 quarts (1.2 liters) S
[[At a Glance: 2017 Honda CR-V
Motor Oil: API 0W-20
Capacity: 3.7 quarts (3.5 liters) – 1.5L engine with filter
4.6 quarts (4.4 liters) – 2.4L engine with filter]]